...

...

Sunday, April 3, 2016

You look so...

Have you ever met one of those people who just argues - about everything? You could say "the sky is blue" and they would reply "it's more like a light indigo..." ?

I try to consider where that person is coming from before replying, engaging and/or ignoring. Sometimes it's just a bad habit, sometimes people just like to keep talking, sometimes it's a more intolerable form of narcissism {those are the ones I ignore} but there's a range of people who like to argue more than me.

My son Riley is currently one. Whether or not it's a phase or he's an asshole for life has yet to be determined. I'm his mom, the outlook isn't great for him. [I do sort of feel bad...]

Riley: Mom stop spelling # its weird
Me: I'm right here, you don't have to text.
Riley: I was being discreet, mom, so you wouldn't look dumb. 

[And no - this is NOT said in a kind, thoughtful way. Oh no, this kid manages to say everything in a sarcastic/half chuckle/but COULD be serious kind of tone: I'm saying the right words but I'm still an ass that's going to argue with you. He did not invent this, BTW.]

Me: Son, I'm not stupid, I know how to use a hashtag, it's an inside joke -
Riley: With old people?
Emerson: oohh great, we're all gonna die
Riley: oldER people, I meant.... But I mean, who else would it be with?
Me: Really?
Riley:Well?
Me: Rie, stop. I hate arguing with you just to argue. I'm not doing it and don't push my buttons tonight.
Riley: Ok, geeeez. You look so - 
Emerson: omigod he's the dumbest person alive
Me: blank stare - it's the scariest one to them

[slow motion: I look over, Emerson ducks, I raise my eyebrows, the light dawns in Rie] 

..pretty. You seem really pretty today, Mom.

Just sayin' ~ DM

1 comment:

  1. I call this phenomena the Alien Transition Inherent in the DNA. You birth your children, teach them as toddlers how to do everything from eat to shit,then they are cool to have around as adolescents.

    All of a sudden the proof begins to appear at about age 12-13 that at one time in human history space invaders mated with our long ago ancestors. These children change, they become "you know nothing, never have, never will and as an adult--your opinions (no more orders or demands they all become opinions) are of no value. "Sure I'll take the trash out *mumbles* the week after next weeks next week" etc.

    The good thing is the DNA is relatively short lived (if we allow our children to live through their smart assedness)they normally revert back to human form some time in their early 20's after you have paid for 4 years of college, 2 years of grad school, and a PhD and they are making more money than you ever did. Then they will have pity for their poor dumb parent and treat you right, at least on your birthday when you'll get a call.

    Good luck DM-the fun is just beginning.

    ReplyDelete